6.21.2008

Little shells silk socks

I haven't knit many pairs of socks this year but am currently working on these:

silkSocks

They're knit from a very fine single-ply silk yarn which doesn't have the elasticity of a 2 or 3-ply sock wool. To introduce a good bit of elasticity I carry along a single, very fine strand of cotton covered Lycra. After searching high and low for this product last year I finally found a huge cone of the stuff on ebay for $15 which looks like this:


The cone weighs several pounds and there are miles of Lycra on it which will probably last me for the rest of my life. I wonder whether Lycra has a shelf life? These socks are knit on a 2mm circular needle which is a bit slow going if you're used to making socks on a 3.5 mm needle, but they'll undoubtedly be ready when the snow falls.

The little shells lace pattern is quite simple to knit, and is worked on a multiple of 7 stitches as follows:
  • Rnd 1 - 2: K all sts
  • Rnd 3: *K1, yo, P1, P3tog, P1, yo, K1; rep from * to end of rnd
  • Rnd 4 : K all sts

2 comments:

Judy said...

ohhhhhhhh, I love those socks! I will have to look into that whole concept of knitting with the added lycra. Thanks for sharing the lace pattern.

catsmum said...

just beautiful
and given the miles that there must be on that roll, maybe you could reel off hanks of the lycra and on sell it ... if you could be bothered too of course